Wednesday, September 1, 2021

Places I won't tour - ain't gonna play Sun City

 As some of you know, I'm a working musician. This means that I record and release singles, EPs and albums, and I have been known to do a live show here and there. But there are places I won't play - and yes, it's political.

I'm of an older generation, where protests are done with our feet and not with the internet. I have marched, although not as often as I probably should. But I have boycotted. Boy have I ever.

Back in the 1980's, Stephen Van Zandt of Bruce Springsteen's E Street Band organized a boycott of the biggest performance venue in Africa, Sun City. Sun City was in South Africa and the point of the protest was to protest Apartheid. Until you can stop being racist fucks, we're not playing this venue, no matter how much money you offer us.

This was a big deal, as Sun City at the time was the biggest resort on the continent. It was a hangout for the wealthy and I'm told it was a great place to perform. Little Steven (as he was better known then) used his platform as a member of the most prominent band in the world to get people to stop performing there. He released first a single, then a full album to help fight racism in Africa.

This certainly didn't end Apartheid, but it was part of the construction of the effort that eventually led to its destruction. It elevated the issue into the mainstream international press, which had been ignoring it for decades.

For my part, I took part in the protests that led to my college, UCLA, to divest from South Africa until Apartheid was gone.

And now I feel it's time to do it again - right here in the US.

Given everything happening in generally Republican controlled states, from stupid COVID policies to voting racism to abortion, is anyone interested in doing a version of "I ain't gonna play Sun City" aimed at certain places in the US?

I am.

So in the spirit of "I ain't gonna play Sun City" here is where I ain't gonna play:

Texas: I have friends in Texas, but given the state's racist anti-voting laws, stupid COVID policies and that they're the first state to legalize vigilante anti-abortion tactics the state as a whole can go fuck itself.

Florida: The state is racing with Texas to see who can kill the most people with stupid COVID measures, has revoked voting rights after voters gave them to the disenfranchised, and their stance on minority voting is appalling. I know a guy who is moving his business, and several hundred jobs, out of the state over this.

Georgia: This is a hard one for me, as I have friends I've known for decades who live there, doing important work. But the state as a whole has decided that the legislature can overturn elections if they don't like how they went, so this is a no for me. I might consider making an exception for a venue in the Tyler Perry universe, but the state as a whole is a big no for me.

Alabama: See the reasons above. I have friends here too and the things I hear from them are horrific.

Mississippi: Same.

On voting rights alone I could add another 25 states.

Let's be real though - if I'm the only person who does this nothing will change. Most people have never heard of me and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. That's no reason not to try. Who knows? Maybe Little Steven will read this.

But the thing is, where this really concentrates, aside from little pockets everywhere, are in the former Confederate States and Texas. So I ain't gonna play there.

Not until they get over this horseshit.

And because I love you, here is Little Steven's effort. I mean, just look at the people he got to be involved:



No comments:

Post a Comment