New music this week from Twin Atlantic, Meshell Ndegeocello, Girl Scout, Dea Matrona, Advent Horizon, Man/Woman/Chainsaw, Anthrax, The Sherlocks, The Linda Lindas, Brenda Mtambo and much more. Enjoy!
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Man/Woman/Chainsaw's album "Cannonball" finally dropped and it's as great as I had hoped. The side effect of releasing so many singles before the album came out though is there is very little on the album that I haven't already added to the radio station and playlists. Still found something to add though, something a bit atypical, and I recommend checking out the whole album.
Prog Rockers Advent Horizon almost have a new album out. Their latest single, "Patience", includes almost every song on the album that is scheduled to be released next week. I did not know that until this morning, and I had picked two songs from "Patience" to add to the playlist this week. It's nice to see that Prog is still alive and well, and this is one of the rare bands in the genre with a female vocalist.
If you're a fan of straight-ahead pop music, you should check out Dea Matrona. Their new album "Hate that I care" contributes two songs this week, and it's a refreshing breath of new life into a genre that doesn't get as much love as it once did.
But on the alternative side there's Girl Scout, with their latest, "Brink". There are some real ear worms on this album, including the tracks "Uh-huh" and "Crumbs", both of which I've added to the list this week.
I was about finished with putting this week's list together and it was going to be my first this year with less than 40 songs, until I discovered a new single from Meshell Ndegeocello. Only two songs and I added both to the playlist, including a great remake of The Human League's "Don't You Want Me".
The Linda Lindas remind us that they were born in Screaming protest punk with their latest single, "Blood on our Hands". The song is brutal and unrelenting, and in my opinion too damned short, but the passion is undeniable and a welcome reminder that these young women are the real deal.
And the old guard isn't letting go either. Anthrax's latest "Everybody's got a Plan" is as good as anything they've done, and if you understand where the quote that makes up the title of the song comes from you also already know what the next words are. If not, I leave it to you to discover.
The Simmons of the band Stanley Simmons finally gets his Art Garfunkel moment with their new single "Lilith", and holy cow doesn't he sound like Hozier. I have to admit that this band has been a welcome surprise. They could have easily just sounded like their very famous parents but have taken a very different path.
Finally I must give notice about Samantha Crain, self-described as a Choctaw songwriter who moves through many genres and I only discovered this year and has an impressive back catalog of diverse works. She has a new single called "Tvshki cha foha" that flows like the last track of a Peter Gabriel album and reminds us all that she's a one of a kind talent. Well worth your time.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++
I know that AOC talking publicly about freezing her eggs makes her open for comment, but holy fuck some people are so goddamned weird about it. It's her life, your opinion is meaningless. So is mine.
Among the weirdest stories of the past week is two former NBA players, neither of them anything special, have declared themselves as trans and available for the WNBA Draft, which ended up directing a lot backlash towards cis men at the obvious political stunt. As a cis man myself may I point out that these are not cis men. They're dicks.
Most probably serial abuser Max Miller failed to resign before the deadline, so now the people of his district are stuck between choosing him or (gasp!) a Democrat.
What's going to be the next major outbreak? Mumps or Rubella? Measles has already gained a foothold in this country; if we separate the vaccines out for these diseases instead of having a combined MMR vaccine I'd wager money that we're going to see either one or both of the others do the same thing. My money is on Rubella - I've never seen a case in my life and couldn't tell the difference between it and any other disease.
Of course, given the order put out by the Crime Administration, any number of childhood diseases are going to be on the upswing, from COVID-19 to the Flu. Do we need to issue N-95 masks to every grandparent in the country?
If these fucking idiots decide to go ahead with illegal drilling in Greenland I want to see the Greenland forces come in and make arrests. I picture it being a cross between an episode of "Cops" and the ending of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail".
Speaking of AOC, she said this weekend that a Generational Tsunami is coming. I hope she's right. These have been promised before.
By the way, is anyone watching the Hunger... I mean... Patriot Games?
To everyone in the Democratic Party clutching pearls over the nomination of Abdul El-Sayed for the U.S. Sente in Michigan I repeat something I've said a lot lately, Moderates don't change the world and the world needs changing.
If our missile stockpiles are in such great condition why is Secretary Meadsbreath asking for $1.5T?
+++++++++++++++++++++
And because I love you, here is a live performance of The Linda Lindas from this week's list:
No comments:
Post a Comment