New music this week from Kat Eaton, Spells and Curses, Wishy, Highspire, The London Suede (thanks to an expanded re-release of their album "Antidepressants"), Pockets (formerly Scary Pockets), Kris Barras Band, Advent Horizon, Drink the Sea and much more. Enjoy!
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Kat Eaton's new album "What Happens Now" is pretty damned close to an old-fashioned pop masterpiece. She's enhanced her sound with a horn section and the addition brings welcome color to her songs. I added three songs from the album to the playlist and they're all great in their own ways.
I admit that I nearly passed on The London Suede's (aka Suede) re-release of their album "Antidepressants". It had only been a year and I for one am not fond of listening to demos and live versions of the songs on an album I've only had about a year to digest. But there are 6 new songs on the album, and I wound up grabbing it after all. If you're a fan of the band you should probably pick it up.
Rodrigo y Gabriella have teamed up with Japanese pianist Hiromi and this is the crazy compilation that you didn't know you needed. "Akatsuki" usually means "Dawn" or "Daybreak" but depending upon the kanji used, can also mean "Red Moon". They don't clarify which it is, so I have to leave it to your imagination.
Everyone is getting all excited about the new Weezer album, generically called The Gold Album. Yes, there's good stuff on there and I've put a couple of songs from the album on the playlist, but I think they've done better than this. A lot of cynicism towards the music industry on display here though, and if anyone has earned the right to sing about it it's these guys.
Highspire, the band who contributes the last song on this playlist (and one other), have a new album out called "Aquatic". They are one of the prototypical shoegaze bands but their music is also full of hooks and that's a good thing. They keep the lyrics down in the mix like proper shoegaze does, but there's also a sense of optimism their sound conveys. It's why they're on the rotation as of this week.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Do you vote by mail?
Are you sure?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
And because I love you, here is your invite to The Linda Lindas' album release party on August 28th.
And here is Ken Pemroy performing an unreleased track called "Bullseye":
No comments:
Post a Comment