Monday, August 31, 2026

Radio Free California Episode 2635

New music this week from The Linda Lindas, Prince, Marci, Peter Gabriel, Lake Street Drive, The Warning, Johnny Marr, Tiny Habits, Asha Jeffries, Yello, Dinosaur Jr., New Radicals and so much more. Enjoy!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

An editorial note: there will be no Radio Free California next week. I will still be collecting new music, but I'll be traveling and unable to post. Expect the week following to have a pretty big playlist.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

First of all, there just isn't a sophomore slump for The Linda Lindas. Their new album, "Gotta get Out" is a flipping masterpiece. There isn't a dud on it, and each of the young women in the band has a distinct voice and style that creates a full-fledged punk experience. I had already added 3 songs from the record from before it's release, and I've added another 4 today. One of the best albums this year so far.

A new full album from Prince. About damned time. They're parceling out the backlog and library too slow for my taste. That said, "Timeless" is a solid reminder that he was that good.

I'm not a big country music fan, something I've made clear in the past, but I do like bluegrass and am a fan of Billy Strings. His new album, written after the sudden and unexpected death of his mother, is full of songs of how he's adjusting to such a major upset to his life. "So Much for Goodbyes" features the guitar pyrotechnics we've come to expect from Billy, but the lyrical content has never been so heartfelt and it elevates the work.

New music from Yello? The Swedish techno guys whose "Oh, Yeah!" is featured on just about every movie made in the 1980s? Yep. You should look into these two guys; they're interesting and strange.

This week's Shane MacGowan cover comes to us from...U2! They're going to deplete the power of the album when it finally comes with all of these singles. The late MacGowan's songwriting prowess is celebrated, even with this "throwaway" little love song. Not his best work, but U2 does a respectable job with it.

Dinosaur Jr's latest, "Near There", might be their best since "Green Mind". I've already featured several tracks and only added one this week, but it's the kind of album you want to take in all at once.

Finally, I must recommend the new album from Tiny Habits, "Keepers". This album kind of snuck up on me. I gave it a listen and found that I had previously added 3 tracks from it without ever noticing they were the from the same band. They hop around from style to style seamlessly and the album is worth checking out.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The Indie Music Awards are held in Los Angeles on Labor Day weekend, so I am heading to Los Angeles as I am nominated for three this year and in addition am being inducted into the indie hall of fame. I promise to bring back pictures.

And because I love you, Here are The Linda Lindas with their latest single, which is of course included above.


No comments:

Post a Comment