Tuesday, July 9, 2013

The Desire to be The Greater Fool



Hey there kids! Did you miss me? I haven't ranted in more than 9 months. Not that I haven't wanted to and believe you me there has been plenty to talk about. It's just that I don't find this as much fun as I used to. I'm also busy as all hell these days.

We have reached a point in American discourse and politics where parody and sarcasm can't keep up with reality. As a nation we are whipping ourselves into a lather over things that mean very little if anything at all, and are just sitting in complacency as our political system becomes so fractured that it can't put together more than a dozen laws in 6 months. And two of those name office buildings. One calls for national peanut butter month.

I honestly wish I knew what to do about it. What concerns me is that I'm starting to think we've bypassed the point where it can be fixed. Are you aware that there is a massive protest going on right now because a beer company, trying to sell beer, didn't mention "God" in an ad? Are you aware that the current approach to pass the farm bill in the house of representatives includes repealing the law that says they have to pass the law? Are you aware that an 18 year-old kid is facing terrorism charges because he was sarcastic on the internet? Are you aware that the owners of the plant in West, Texas that blew up a couple of months ago were just awarded a NEW tax break in Texas?

Are you aware that the government of Florida may have accidentally banned the internet (to my friends in Florida - viva la revolucion!)? Are you aware that the current government shakeup in Egypt is even more profound than the one covered two years ago by all the news networks? Are you aware that there are thousands of servicemen, all discharged under don't ask don't tell, who cannot find work because in some states their discharges are considered felonies? Are you aware that it is illegal for a man to buy more than 3 drinks at a time in Nevada?

Are you aware that fracking caused an explosion yesterday that killed 4 people? Are you aware of the tanker explosion in Canada that killed 40 this past weekend? Are you aware that Pearl Jam just announced a North American tour? Are you aware that Randy Travis may be drinking himself to death? Are you aware that a bill has been introduced in the House of Representatives that would allow you to legally record conversations between you and your government without notice?

Are you aware that the sequester is still in effect? Are you aware that California has a balanced budget and a monetary surplus?

How does one even respond to all of the bullshit flying through the air around you? You can only hang your head to the side and shrug saying "you're kidding" under muted breath for so long before you strain something aside from incredulity.

For a long time now I have fought against those who would promote stupidity believing that they were in the minority. That no longer appears to be true. Stupidity is taking over at such a pace that most no longer recognize it as such. This is a trend that goes back 50 years, but the people who were bit-by-bit eroded of the ability to get an education are now the people in charge and they're all saying "well, if it worked for me!" without recognizing the fact that it DIDN'T WORK FOR THEM EITHER. But alas, again, stupidity reigns.

I have said from my earliest days that we need to fight the stupid, and I have come to the realization that I'm not smart enough to know how. Colonel Kurtz is muttering "the irony, the irony" under his breath just as Martin Sheen hacks off his head.

But, I do consider myself one of the Greater Fools, so I'm probably not going to shut up and you would be wise not to bet on it. I don't know how often I will rant in the upcoming days/weeks/parsecs. But it will be a number greater than zero. I will at least try.

Cheap shots (take a drink for every swear word - my elected poison is gin):

Doesn't this essentially amount to fraud?

Face it, the Supreme Courts is just making shit up at this point.


So the Russians beat us with a Seagull.

I move that the political lexicon be changed. It's not pro-life. It's pro-birth. If you're pro-life then you give a shit after the child is born as well. Otherwise you should be forced to scream into the newborn's face, "This is SPARTA!!!"

Mos Def goes someplace you would never want to go. If you don't find it disturbing then shoot yourself in the head - you won't feel that either.

Rand, I hate your fucking guts, but I have to admit, this is a damned good burn.


16 innings and they still couldn't win the damned game.

And because I love you, Boys Club (in two parts): 


No comments:

Post a Comment