Monday, November 22, 2021

Radio Free California Episode 2148 and thoughts about cars, social media and mental illness

 


New music this week from The Darkness, Sting, Moule, Scary Pockets with Cody Fry, Young Knives, Adele, Deap Valley, Ovlov, and much more. Enjoy!

This week's artists, by twitter handle unless otherwise marked:

@iamhazelenglish
andrewhagarofficial (Instagram - that's right, Sammy's kid isn't on twitter)
@MOULEOFFICIAL
@scarypockets with @codyfry
@tmorello with @BarnsCourtney
wonderingwithmusic (Instagram)
@BonnieLegion with @THEREALMETRO1
Darkcave (No socials. Follow on Spotify - he's been putting out an album a week)
@ainsleymusic07
@Crimsonicband
@youngknives with @wpgonzalez
David Bowie
@bridgetkmusic
@OfficialSting
@Adele
@Convergecult with @CCHELSEAWWOLFE
@ladyhawkeforyou with @broodsmusic
@thedarkness
@hashtagovlov
@STSOfficial_1
@DeapVally
David Christian & The Pinecone Orchestra (no socials I could find - distributed by @tapete
@SoundSwansea
@naytronix

When I was 19 years old I was a sophomore at UCLA. When I was a freshman I lived on campus but I now had my own apartment a few miles away. I couldn't afford living in Westwood, the small part of Los Angeles that is the "college town" for UCLA. That said, Westwood is where we all hung out. There were clubs and movie theaters and shopping and on a weeknight it would be bustling. On a weekend they'd shut down some of the streets and only allow people on foot.

That summer, on a night I was in Westwood, a man drove his car on the sidewalk. He killed 1 and hurt another 54. He would eventually be sentenced to 106 years in prison. He was thought to be mentally ill and he was thought to hate the police. There was no political agenda or anything, he just did it. 

I didn't see it happen. I went home about an hour earlier.

What happened in Waukesha, WI this past weekend, immediately following the unjust acquittal of a teenager who had killed two and injured another, is easy to look at through a political lens. That's a mistake, but people tend to gravitate to easy. The two events do not appear to be related, but boy howdy did social media erupt about it over the weekend. I saw the suspect called "BLM Terrorist" on the kinder posts. Twitter, to my knowledge, never policed or took down any of the racist hate speech that was posted, all over the race of the suspect.

In reality is appears that the suspect has anger issues and went off the rails over a personal matter. That no excuse, but it is an explanation.

I suspect that in today's America a dangerously large number of us are mentally unstable. Over 30% of the country believes that the one thing PROVEN to be able to save their lives and end the Pandemic is actually a conspiracy to do... something.

To quote a line from a movie I saw about Jesse Owens, It's no real secret that my country is losing its mind.

I don't have a suggestion to make here. I don't know the whole story - not for what happened this weekend and not for what I missed seeing by an hour back in 1985. I'm not qualified.

But I'm sure glad than when the case from my college days that Social Media didn't yet exist.

Cheap Shots (remember, it's Monday so it's Rum Day!)

Well, bye.

Oh by the way, the pandemic is nowhere close to over.

Actually, we are better off now.

And because I love you, I introduce you to The Tim Traveler:


No comments:

Post a Comment