Friday, June 24, 2022

Day Drinking and the overturn of Roe v. Wade

 


So today has been a horrible day. With the overturn of Roe v. Wade the women of this country have taken a serious blow to their rights all in the name of a religion that I myself am not a member of. In fact, in favor of religious beliefs that the majority of the country doesn't hold. I have daughters, and this is disgusting to me.

My wife decided that she wanted to cancel her day's plans and go drinking. I don't blame her one damned bit. Unfortunately with the Pandemic and a number of changes to our local neighborhood in the aftermath (if you can call it that when it's still going so fucking strong) we've lost our local hangouts. The Cliff House is gone, The Beach Chalet has converted itself into a TGIFriday's without the name or soul. The Lincoln Bar is now a pick-up window and Hockey Haven no longer does food.

We spent 45 minutes just trying to find a place. After numerous stops we said FUCK IT and went to See's Candy on Clement Street to buy chocolate. It's not booze, but it's not bad. While my wife went in I found parking and dropped a letter into a mailbox when I spotted an open door. Inside this door is a HUGE fucking bar, a lunch menu and one customer. I met with my wife and said "I found something".

This place is called "Lost Marbles" and although I didn't recognize it at first, it's in the same location a former pretend Opium Den called Pizza Orgasmica used to be (pizza and drinks while lounging on cushions - it was marvelous). We went in, sat at the bar and started ordering drinks. Mostly gin for me because that's me, and various bartender recommendations for my wife. 

Like I said, the place is empty so we start talking with the bartenders. We order lunch (french dip for the missus, a burger for me) and proceed to just get hammered. Over the course of this we try a number of drinks, sample their home-brewed beers, and then suddenly discovered that my wife knows the mother of one of the bartenders. They wound up texting and swapping stories.

Before we left I stumbled to the bathroom (seriously, I stumbled) to just wash my hands and saw a sight so odd I thought I was hallucinating. I took a picture of it, and it's at the top of this post. It's in the sit down stall of the men's room.

It's been a terrible day, but for just a little bit my wife and I were able to get shit-faced drunk, meet people, and have what turned into a quite nice afternoon. I tipped very well and we intend to go back - this might be our new place for day drinking.

My wife and daughters have been re-tasked as walking/talking wombs with no control over their bodies - should we ever leave California. We're not fucking moving out of California if we're staying in the United States. This is presently up for debate in my household.

The country has lost it's fucking marbles. But for a brief little while, we found them.

No comments:

Post a Comment