Monday, October 2, 2023

Radio Free California Episode 2340, programming notes, cheap shots, Unicorns and more!

 


New music this week from U2, Rolling Stones, Slow Pulp, OMD, Kiffie, Johnny Marr, Gunship, Saving Amber and much more! Enjoy!

How do I even explain the band Gunship and their new album, Unicorn? The band describes themselves as "A Neo Retro Futuristic Assault". That's it - their entire Spotify profile. What I would call them is a modern day band with its roots in everything about the 1980's that you secretly loved while telling your friends that you hated that stuff. You know, like Journey or Styx or Roxette. And yet they sound nothing like those bands. I can you that I like it, excesses and all, and I find it leaning towards anime music while staying rooted in rock and roll. But it is rock and roll to the excess - so much so that even Saxophonist Tim Capello is featured from time to time not only in their videos but in their albums as well. I was introduced to this band by a friend at counter.social, and this week will feature the album Unicorn on The Album Show.

The Album Show will run this Thursday October 5th at 9am and 9pm Pacific Standard Time.

For those of you who stay away from Spotify this playlist will be played this Wednesday October 4th at 2am, 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6pm PST. All of the songs I feature on Radio Free California are played as part of the regular rotation.

One last programming note: Every Sunday at 10am and again at 10pm we will feature our new show "10 at 10", where we play 10 (and sometimes 11) songs from a year we pick at random. Again, all times are PST.



+++++++++++


Dear Pennsylvania: This shit again?

We're well overdue for a Contempt of Court hearing somewhere.

And in case you didn't notice, my new Senator is a woman, black, and gay. So fuck yeah.

Does this guy know any good lawyers? Doesn't seem so, does it.

Can any of these people ever get investigated for something that isn't silly? I guess not.

Matt Gaetz (R-Beavis and Butthead) cuts an ad for Joe Biden.

Rich people, even fake rich people, are wierd.

Pot, Kettle, Fuckwad.

As I've released a few covers myself I know for a fact that to release this commercially you have to pay for the right to do so. Actual cash money. That doesn't seem like a trait of these people. And yes, she's not a great singer but that sort of thing can be fixed in the mix. What I object to is the affected twang in her voice. She's from New York, people.

And because I love you, have some Gunship:



No comments:

Post a Comment