Tuesday, August 29, 2023

The Indie Music Channel Awards for 2023: About the Nominations part 3 - Elusive Green

 


I have been nominated for a total of 9 awards by the Indie Music Channel, the premiere source for indie/alternative music in North America, and I'm going to talk about the songs that have been nominated. This is Elusive Green, my first ever dance release and much to my surprise one of my biggest hits. We picked up 3 nominations; best dance band, best dance songwriter, and best dance video.

This wasn't supposed to be my song. During the worst days of the pandemic I discovered the Japanese dance act/band "World Order". I love their videos and chased down everything I could find. I decided I would try to write a song they could perform to. I hunted down their management and with my fairly passable Japanese language skills worked out a way to submit the song for consideration.

But the group's leader, Genki Sudou, ran for office and got elected to Parliment. One of their other dancers became mayor of his town. So with one exception video released in 2021 the group is currently on pause.

Thing is, I rather like the song so I decided to record it for myself. Recording rock music is actually pretty easy. Guitars, Bass, Drums, Keys, Vocals, occasionally a few overdubs. Dance music isn't like that. I mean drums and bass were straightforward, but you want the bass to have textures. With all the other instrument there is a precision that isn't required in rock and roll. There are textures. Beats to hit in precise ways. That's generally not how I work.

So I adapted. The song wound up with 36 tracks all told by the time I was done with it. Violins, guitars, a solid beat, a synth solo, harmony vocals, organ, There's actually a lot going on in the song. It was fun to do and really stretched my studio legs.

It was always going to need a video and I had one in mind when I was trying to make this into a World Order song. I went to different directors/producers but none of them could quite get into my vision. Then one said to me why not dancing robots instead? The video above is the result, and like I mentioned above, it got nominated for best video. If it wins that award goes to EnterpriseMedia.

No comments:

Post a Comment