Monday, January 1, 2024

Radio Free California Episode 2401, radio station notes and so on

 

Starting off 2024 with new music from The Ceys, Skafish (which I will explain below), Wild Coast, J Mascis, Temples, The Amazing, Wet Fruit, Young Eyes, Sandrider and much more. Happy New Year - Enjoy!

Yes, almost all of this music was released in 2023. That happens a lot during the first month of the year - an overlap from the previous year to the current one. Sometimes, it involves me discovering an album I missed in the previous year, like Cat Power and Iggy Pop's cover of "Working Class Hero". It happens.

And then there's Skafish, whom I met through social media. The music you hear was originally released way back in the early 1980's but has been long out of print. I played a very very small part in getting a re-release financed (it was on Kickstarter), and along with the original album there is also a second disc of material that IRS records rejected which I think is a shame. I lived in Los Angeles during that time and I can tell you without reservation that all of that material would have fit in the rotation at KROQ without any problem. Because of how the original release was mistreated, I am treating this 40th anniversary edition of the album, along with all the new tracks, as new.

I never do this (before now) but you should check out the full album on his bandcamp page. The album is worth having and was one of my final purchases of 2023. It includes a lenghty set of liner notes that goes into great detail about the recording of all the songs and the fight with IRS records Skafish went through. In short, he got screwed. Having been through the "we're not releasing this album you've submitted" thing myself I can really feel for the guy. He was the first American signed by IRS and they treated his second album like trash, and discarded him to focus on their mainstream acts.

Such bullshit our indusgtry is famous for. I've covered what happened with my "Jack Acid Society" album that was supposed to come out in 1993 (Back when I performed as Jim Christopher) in previous posts and I'll probably bring out that story again later this year, but what do you say we give Skafish the nod and play BOTH discs of his new release on this week's Album Show?

ALBUM SHOW NOTES

This week on The Album Show we will features the 2-disc release by Skafish called "Conversation & The Rejects". Because this is a 2 disc release there will be a short break in between the two discs where I will add some context and liner notes. 

The Album Show will run this Thursday January 4th at 9am and 9pm Pacific Standard Time.

For those of you who stay away from Spotify this playlist will be played this Wednesday January 3rd at 2am, 6am, 10am, 2pm and 6pm PST. All of the songs I feature on Radio Free California are played as part of the regular rotation. .

One last programming note: Every Sunday at 10am and again at 10pm we will feature our show "10 at 10", where we play 10 (and sometimes 11 or even 12!) songs from a year we pick at random. Again, all times are PST. Last week was a retrospective of 2023 (it was not a top 10 list) and for next Sunday's show we're going to feature a small selection of songs from.. well you'll have to tune in to find out!


The Year in Review:

Usually with my first post of the year I review all of the news stories of the previous year with my usual humurous (or my attempt at it) twist. But you know what? Fuck 2023. I'm over it. 

But because I do love you, here is the Lyric Video for one of the Rejected Skafish songs.






No comments:

Post a Comment