Nia Archives tends to get classified as an Electronic artist and I don't think that's fair. Yes, there are electric elements to her work, but you can say the same about lots of people. You can really notice it on her new album "Emotional Junglist" in the drums, which tends to have a frenetic pace to them, but I find her music to be pretty straight ahead pop and rock and well worth the effort to give a listen. I've added 3 tracks from the new album this week, so please check them out.
Local Nomad's latest, "Local Nomad & The Soft Rock Orchestra", is a pretty laid back affair overall with lyrics that are at times clever and interesting. I especially like the song "Tinderella" and if you're into this sort of music you might find a kindred spirit here.
Selves' "Breaking Outta Heaven" is a follow-up of sorts to last year's "Breaking Into Heaven". They tend to hop all over the place stylistically and I've always had a soft spot for artists like this. The fact that they are pretty successful at it puts them a good measure against other artists who do the same thing.
At long last Fantastic Negrito's live album "Alive" is finally out and it's a good representation of his live sound. I've added several songs as they've come out as singles over the past few months and have added the opening track this week.
I feel a bit bad about not adding anything from Aaron Lee Tasjan's new album "Get Over It, Underdog" because it's a solid album, but I've added every single from this album as they've come out prior to this week, and I don’t' feel that the rest of the album quite comes to that same standard. That's still 6 songs from the album added over time though, so if you want everything all in one place then the album's for you.
I have to give a shoutout to my friends in Fear 2 Stop, who have released a quirky EP called "8 bits are plenty". A lot of their music is definitely outside the mainstream, but sometime it's not and this week is a good example, with their take on some music from Super Mario Bros.
Finally, I want to introduce you to the band Banda AL9, who have released a new album with updated mixes of prior releases called "Hey! Hey! We're Banda AL9!" The reason for the update is to give proper mixes to English language versions of songs - they are from Brazil and the original releases are in Portuguese. That said, they're among the best jangle-pop bands out there and you should check them out.
And as a p.s., did you know that Daryl Hall and Brian Eno made an album together? It's called Sacred Songs and was eventually released by Hall's label as a solo album with Eno's name practically erased, after having been shelved for quite a while. It's worth checking out - it sounds like pop music from the mid-1980's, which is saying something as it was recorded in the 1970's and released in 1980. An album ahead of its time.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Congratulations to Spain for winning the World Cup. First country ever to hold both the men's and women's titles at the same time.
Have we (the U.S.) sent anyone to help the Canadians with their fires? They sent help to us last year, and the year before, and more. You know, a good neighbor would help. Of course, the crime administration aren't really interested in being good neighbors.
The crime administration's pick for Governor of Minnesota, who was already a long shot, can't vote for himself. The Pillow Guy is a registered Republican in Texas. I should point out that he doesn't live there either.
Until today I was unaware of the hate leveled at the new movie of "The Odyssey" and director Christopher Nolan by the world's richest pot smoker. Apparently you're not supposed to hire Elliot Page or any non-white women who won't give poor little rich fuck the time of day, or some shit. While I will not ever take advice from a drug addict who can't see past his own dick I wasn't really planning to see the movie anyway. I'm sorry, but I can't see Matt Damon as the lead.
But I could be wrong. I just don't want to sink theater-going money into it.
And because I love you, I ask the burning question: how many
movies do you need to see before you see this one? (I think it's five for me):
No comments:
Post a Comment