Monday, May 1, 2023

Radio Free California Episode 2318, future plans for these playlists, and of course cheap shots

 


New music this week from phil broikos, Yes, Benjamin Russell, Brenda Mtambo, Annahstasia, Stewart Copeland, The National, Smokey Robinson and much more. Enjoy!

So I live in San Francisco, California. It's a great place to live but I have to admit that radio here is fucking terrible. There are almost no outlets for new music and those that exist want to go so far outside the mainstream that a person whose tastes lie more towards rock, alternative and pop really have nowhere to go. The Bay Area's one great rock and roll station is more classic rock than anything else, the one adult alternative radio station is now doing sports and talk radio, and the one real alternative radio is now a "Dave" station - which means nothing past the year 2004.

For a working musician it is best to understand what else is out there and what your contemporaries are doing, so I crave and devour new music. That was really the whole purpose of starting Radio Free California in the first place, to share my discoveries. New music really isn't all that hard to find, but the days of being able to rely on radio to bring you new music are gone now.

So I've begun work on a new project that I hope to launch in June. I'm taking Radio Free California and turning it into an actual Internet Radio Station. It will feature the music from these playlists and a bit more, but the key thing here is that all of the music will be no more than 2 years since it's official release. All genres welcome, and I'll be playing the people with 50 followers right next to those with 50,000,000. Unsigned artists won't be regulated to 10pm on a Thursday night, but played in the main rotation with all the other artists.

Does this mean I will be launching an app? Why, yes it does! I'll let everyone know when it's ready, but Radio Free California will be available for both Apple and Android.

Cheap Shots:

A lot has been made of "Dark Brandon's" showing at the White House Correspondents Dinner, but for me the best work of the night was the last 5 minutes of Roy Wood's speech. A comedian who really gets it - maybe he should be the next host of The Daily Show.


Although I'm sure it's apropos of nothing, Harlan Crow banks this these guys for some of his portfolio.

Should we start referring to "Senator Run Away like a fucking coward" as "Senator Incel" now?

Well, bye.

So do we now refer to a cloud of debris as "Musky"?


Hmmm. I wonder if Ron will sign it. (said in the voice of Bugs Bunny)

And because I love you, here's a song that didn't make the cut this week that some of you might enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment