Tuesday, October 9, 2018

Some thoughts about the class of 2018

So the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame nomination list is out, and it ain’t bad at all. Mostly. I’m going to give you my thoughts, one by one:

Def Leppard: You know what, I like the Lep as much as anyone, but no – I don’t thinks it’s time. Granted, they’re one of the original hair metal bands and one of the rare ones from England and whoo boy their story is compelling (there’s even been a movie) but no – given the other names on this list I think not. But just for fun, here’s a look at them before they got famous. I wonder if their original second guitarist here would get inducted – he left the band right after this. 


Devo: Devo should be a LOCK. Immensely influential, they changed how rock music gets looked at from every direction; videos, sound, instruments, performances. Just look at their performance of Jerkin Back and Forth here. They broke every rule and put out great music. 


Janet Jackson: The only singing member of the Jackson family not in the Hall. That might be enough to get her in. Her music is good, but groundbreaking? There I’m not so sure. Yeah, she was a huge seller for a long time and that counts, and like her brothers she can really perform, but a lot of her albums are about the production and that’s other people. But I won’t deny dancing to this: 

John Prine: This is one of those “you don’t know that you know him” picks. Amazing songwriter whose work has been covered but just about everyone, including Eric Clapton, Three Dog Night, 10,000 Maniacs, Kim Carnes, Peter Case, John Denver, Betty LaVette, John Melloncamp – the list is downright amazing. But John Prine performing as himself you might not know very well. Give this a listen: 

Kraftwerk: You have probably never heard a single Kraftwerk song. But you’re not going to find a more influential band on this list and even Devo would say so. Without Kraftwerk there is no synth pop/rock movement. Period. They were first. Before Devo, before Depeche Mode. I don’t know that this will be enough to get them in, even though they certainly belong. But I also just don’t see both Devo and Kraftwerk getting inducted in the same year. Here’s a performance from 1982: 

LL Cool J: Momma said Knock you out. Face it, you know the track, even if you only know that phrase. Here’s the thing, as rappers go I think he was just okay, but unlike many of his era he had a band behind him and people who vote on these things remember that. When he showed up to do MTv Unplugged people were wondering how a rapper could pull it off and holy crap what an amazing performance he and his band turned in. Now that he’s mostly an actor his profile is high and that might do it. I think that Ice-T is a better choice but he angers people. LL Cool J doesn’t. He’s a rapper that white people my age could like. That might work, but like I said, that MTv performance is just amazing: 

MC5: This isn’t the first time they’ve been nominated and there’s no doubt that they’re influential. About 50 million bands have covered “Kick out the Jams”. They’re the Nirvana of the 1960s. But I think their politics will get blown out of proportion – they were, after all, the house band of the White Panther Party and put on that infamous 8-hour set at the 1968 Democratic Convention. Short-lived, burned so goddamned bright, and went down in flames. Maybe. 

Radiohead: That band you know everyone’s supposed to like but you only know two or three of their songs. They’re a good band, no doubt, and OK Computer lists as one of the greatest albums of all time. They never really clicked with me personally but I can’t deny their impact. They’re probably getting in. I admit that I like this song: 

Rage Against the Machine Do you remember where you were when you first heard “Killing in the name of”? I do. I was in my car. I was headbanging and screaming along with it within a verse. Holy shit, metal rap! And holy cow can these musicians play. A truly solid rhythm section and Tom motherfuckin’ Morello! I’ve seen Rage twice live, and I’m a decent guitarist myself, and I have no idea how he plays a couple of those songs. And not only metal rap, but this band brought back protest music in a hard-hitting way. They’re progressive, in your face and have never apologized for what they do. Great band and in a perfect world they’d be a lock. But the hall of fame knows that if this band comes in it’s going to be a political mine field. Do they do it now and get it over with, or do it later? 

Roxy Music: I’ve never really been a fan of Roxy Music. I find them kinda dull. I think the most interesting thing about them is all of the good musicians who have passed through the band – Bryan Ferry, John Wetton, Brian Eno, Phil Manzanera, Eddie Jobson, Paul Carrack – they’re going to have some issues whittling down the list. But like I said, I think they’re kinda dull. This is about as energetic as they get: 

Stevie Nicks: This could be a historical moment. Stevie Nicks could wind up being the first woman in the hall for both a band and solo work. Lots of men have done it but she’d be the first woman. That alone might get her in, but let’s not knock the fact that she’s a great songwriter and singer. Here’s an early one of her tunes I’ve always liked: 

The Cure: This is a great band and stands a good chance of getting in. Some of the moodiest music ever written is by this band. They could do upbeat rock, slowed-down depressed drama and wild-assed mega pop. I think this song typifies them best: 
A but this song is my favorite: 

Todd Rundgren: Ask any musician in just about any genre and they’ll tell you they like Rundgren. If I were a voter Todd would be a lock. He plays every instrument. He’s written more hit songs than most people recognize. He’s made more money as a producer than as a musician, but has released over 40 albums in every genre. He’s done blues, prog rock, pop, an album where he mimicked The Beatles, an a capella album, an album recorded live – no overdubs, an interactive album (really – how it plays depends upon input from the listener) and produced albums by Meatloaf, Manhattan Transfer, XTC, The Cars, The New York Dolls, Hall and Oates, Wasp, Laura Nyro, The Tubes… the list is just amazing. His songs were featured all the time on the original TV show Miami Vice (something I had a hand in making happen, weirdly enough). He also wrote hit songs like “Love is the Answer”, “Bang the Drum All Day” (yes, THAT song), “Can we still be friends” but his own biggest hit is probably “Hello, It’s Me” from the early 70’s. The first video on MTv was The Buggle’s “Video Killed the Radio Star” but the second was Todd Rundgren’s “Time Heals” :
 The first ever concert broadcast on MTv was His band Utopia. For me, hands down, this is my favorite Todd Rundgren (outside Utopia) song: 

Rufus & Chaka Khan: I’d call them a longshot but they’ve also got a sympathetic vote behind them. They weren’t really groundbreaking but they sure as hell were fun and could put down a great groove – even on a slow burn like this one: 

The Zombies: There’s always that one band where you think “they’re not already in”? and this is this year’s band. Time of the Season? She’s not There? Tell Her No? All classics. There’s no doubt that they deserve to be in. The real question is if there’s enough room in 5 slots to squeeze them in. I just don’t know. That said, can you believe this song is 54 years old? 

So who gets in? There can be only 5. My guess: Devo, Radiohead, Stevie Nicks, John Prine, The Cure.
That’s not the 5 I would vote for. I’d vote for Devo, Todd Rundgren, Rage Against the Machine, Kraftwerk, and The Zombies.
Cheap Shots:
I don’t think any of this would frighten a woman who won her Senate seat in a Write-in campaign.
I’m giving two to one odds that he reverses course and Ted Talks.
I tried to come up with a witty retort and I just don’t have one. Ladies, kick him in the nuts.
And because I love you, here is a new song by The Bangles, covering one of my favorite songs of the early 80s!


No comments:

Post a Comment