Saturday, March 20, 2021

Radio Free California Episode 2112 - The Rush Episode

 


Just so that you don't think I skipped a week I'm going to post this, because I simply couldn't resist when the next number in the sequence was "2112".

This is my list of Rush songs I like. I have been a fan from the first album through to the last. I have put usually two songs from each album on this list, occasionally more and once less (I'm not a big fan of Caress of Steel). I skipped the live albums.

These are the songs I like, not necessarily the hits. For example, Tom Sawyer is NOT on this list. I've never thought that was the best track on Moving Pictures. For me that's always going to be Limelight. Spirit of the Radio is also not on this list, although I do believe that's a great song. There's just stuff on that album I like more.

And of course 2112 is on there. I'm not a fan of the Ayn Rand-ish horseshit, but if you listen very very carefully, you'll find that neither were they.

They started out life as a Zepplin-ish rock band, got very proggy when Neil Peart joined, and then started moving to a more synth-based sound. Peart developed into an amazing drummer and Alex Leifson just got better and better and more experimental with each album. They kept on evolving and kept on taking risks, right through their last album - a concept sci-fi work that brought in an outside string section, that they toured with.

When inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame, Peart was serious and talked about influences and the life and thanked the fans, Geddy Lee talked about the fun and they joy of what they do and thanked the fans, and Alex Liefson gave the most memorable speech in history. Seriously, go and google the damned thing or look it up on YouTube. It's the funniest and most outrageous thing ever done - it will never be topped. It just can't be done.

Anyway, this is my list. New music will return with Radio Free California Episode 2113.



No comments:

Post a Comment