Saturday, January 22, 2011

Good night, and good luck.

I was shocked to learn when I woke up this morning that Keith Olbermann and MSNBC had parted ways. He had a contract with them through 2012, and this effectively silences the man on television through the next election cycle - at a time when we need his voice.

So I did some checking around my own sources. One upon a time I was a cable TV exec, and I still know people in the business. I sent a couple of e-mails. I made a couple of phone calls. And here are the theories I've heard:

Comcast fired him. This is the most simple and most obvious answer. If so, where the fuck is Sarah Palin incorrectly complaining about him losing his first amendment rights? Comcast is owned by a group of very conservative assholes and they'd be happy to silence the man.

But there are people that I know who have noticed specific language in the press release - that they have "ended their contract". While people at NBC corporate are saying that the terms of his contract state that Olbermann cannot go to another television network until the end of 2012, they are also saying that the contract is ended. They're not saying that there is a parting of ways or any of the other language that commonly gets used.

Comcast may be run by conservative jackasses but they do understand that Olbermann has become their evening flagship and moneymaker on MSNBC. Getting rid of him to spite their own faces isn't a smart move when it comes to the money. Even though they still have Rachel Maddow they don't want to become known at the network that used to air Countdown.

Which brings me to a rumor I've heard now from several sources. Comcast is going to launch a sports channel to go up against ESPN. Given that they just bought NBC that gives them one hell of a starting point to launch from. Remember, Olbermann was fired from ESPN years ago with about 30 second’s notice - right before he went on the air. He was given 15 seconds to say goodbye. The rumor is that Olbermann will become the flag anchor of Comcast's new sports network. If so, well done - and congratulations. It would take him out of rancorous politics but the man did start in sports and he certainly loves it.

My guess is that for now, he's going to move to radio. He's got a good voice and is certainly opinionated.

As far as television, I hope the sports talk is true. But Occam's Razor says he was fired by his new corporate overlords, and that just fucking stinks. As for Olbermann himself, he hasn't commented on the reasons - and there's a real possibility that he can't - contracts in TV tend to work like that.

So here is his own sign-off, in his own words:



Good night, and good luck.

1 comment:

  1. I know he likes sports, but seriously, we need some voices to counter the likes of Beck, Limbaugh and Palin. Please Keith, find a way to keep your political voice heard!

    ReplyDelete